All visitors to the Muskingum County Courthouse must enter through the Main Entrance and pass through security.

Title Office

The Muskingum County Clerk of Courts would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to our website. This site was designed to provide information to the people of Muskingum and surrounding counties. The Clerk of Courts title department issues titles for motor vehicles, motorcycles, off-road bikes, ATVs, travel trailers, campers, mobile homes and watercraft boats, motors and jet skis or wave runners. Duplicates for lost or stolen titles and memorandums can also be issued through our office.

The Clerk of Courts Auto Title Department DOES NOT issue license plates, driver’s license or 30 day tags. These are issued through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles which is located at:
2328 June Parkway
South Zanesville, OH 43701

(740) 455-2767

Their hours of operations are:
Monday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

  • General Information
  • Auto Titles
  • Watercraft Titles
  • Passports
  • If your original title is lost, stolen, or destroyed, a duplicate can be issued with proper ID and $15.00 fee. Application will be processed in our office or one can be downloaded from our web page under Forms And Downloads.
  • Memorandum Certificate of Title can not be transferred. It is issued only for the purpose of obtaining license plates when the original title is being held by the lienholder.
  • New resident to the State of Ohio – the following is needed to get an Ohio title
    • Out of State title
    • Serial number inspection
    • If owned less than six months a bill of sale showing purchase price and taxes paid. If you paid less than 7.25% (Muskingum county tax rate) additional taxes will be collected.
    • Proper ID and Social Security number
    • If a bank or finance company is holding you title we need to contact them. We will need the name of the company, address, phone number, year, make, and serial number from the vehicle. DO NOT wait until your plates have expired to take care of the paper work as this could take 2 to 4 weeks to get your title from the lienholder.
  • NO person can sign for you without a notarized Power of Attorney. This form is available at our office, banks, and car dealership. It can also be downloaded from our web page under “Forms & Downloads”
  • All trailers weighing over 4,000 pounds, travel trailers, slide in truck campers and fold down campers must be titled. A title is not required on utility trailers weighing less than 4,000 pounds or boat trailers. To obtain license plates they are required to be weighed. Contact the BMV for more information – phone number and hours listed below.
  • Surviving spouse may transfer an unlimited number of vehicles (passenger, pickup truck, or motorcycle) valued up to $65,000.00 and one boat and one outboard motor upon the death of a married Ohio resident. Certified copy of the death certificate and surviving spouse affidavit (which can be downloaded under “FORMS”) must be presented with the title. A Probate Court Affidavit to Transfer is required for all other transfers.
  • A vehicle can be titled to two owners with rights of survivorship. This requires both signatures to purchase or sell the vehicle. When one party passes away, the survivor brings the title and a certified copy of the Death Certificate to transfer title into his/her name. You may also complete an affidavit for designation of beneficiary if you are the sole owner of a motor vehicle or watercraft. This will allow the beneficiary or beneficiaries to bring in a Certified Copy of the Death Certificate and the title will be transferred into in their name or names.
  • Effective March 4, 2002, the State of Ohio legislative passed SB 59, the Cross-County Titling law. This allows an Ohio resident to obtain a title in any county regardless of where they reside. The sales tax will be calculated based on your county of residency.
  • Effective July 1, 1999 ATV’s and Off-Road Motorcycles must be titled before a registration can be issued or renewed. Used ATV’s or Off-Road motorcycles not titled must have a serial number inspection before titling. Please call our office for any additional paperwork that might be needed for titling
  • When selling a vehicle - you are still responsible for that vehicle until the new buyer(s) has the title completely put into their name(s).
  • Effective January 1, 2000, watercraft less than 14 feet in length with a permanent affixed mechanical means of propulsion of 10 HP or more will be required to be titled. This includes wave runners, jet skis, and jet boats.
The following information is needed in order to obtain a certificate of title.
  • Must have proper ID (i.e. driver’s license, state issued identification card)
  • Make sure the title has been notarized to you (for notarization information see the link "Notary Book"
  • Make sure the current mileage is written on the back of the title
  • NEVER make any alterations, erasures or use whiteout on a certificate of title as this will VOID the title and a replacement title will need to be processed. An application for replacement title will need to be completed and a fee of $15.00 is required.
  • If purchasing a used vehicle from out-of-state a serial number inspection is required and this can be done at any new car dealer, several used car dealers, and the BMV. Locations of inspections stations in Muskingum County may be obtained by calling our office.
  • Your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER is REQUIRED by law when applying for a title. (This will NOT be printed on your title).
  • If two names are to appear on the title, both signatures are required for all transactions (selling and/or buying)
  • Transfer of title must be made within 30 days of notary date or there will be a $5.00 penalty.
  • DO NOT leave your title in your car. This is your only proof of ownership.
  • All fees are payable by Cash, Certified Check, Money Order, Visa, Master Card and Discover

These Fees Apply To Both Motor Vehicle And Watercraft Titles

Certificate of Title$15.00
Duplicate Title$15.00
Salvage Certificate of Title$4.00
(Customers’ copy when lien is noted on title.)
Notation of Lien on New Title$15.00
Notation of Lien on Existing Title$15.00
Notarization of Title application or affidavits$1.00
Late fee
(If title is not transferred within 30 days)
Mobile Home Archive Fee$5.00
Out of State Physical Inspection$5.00
Cancellation of Lien$0.00
The Muskingum County Clerk of Courts – Title Department now offers the service of WATERCRAFT REGISTRATION.

Information pertaining to getting a registration:

  • Completed application which can be filled out in our office or (download) completed prior to coming in
  • Current Drivers License
  • Date of Birth
  • Ohio Certificate of Title for the boat if 14 foot and longer
  • No Title required on boats under 14 foot but will need the following to register
    • Valid 12 character hull ID# (HIN) on the boat. If you don’t have 12 digits, you will need to call the Division of Watercraft office in Cambridge to apply for ID #. The number is (740) 439-4076.
    • Manufacturers Statement of Origin, Bill of Sale or Sales Receipt with the following information listed
      • 12 digit Serial Number
      • Year
      • Make
      • Model
  • Previous watercraft registration
  • The OH # that is presently attached on the boat
  • Registrations can be issued using power of attorney (download) if owner is unable to come into office during office hours. Owner’s signature, Date of Birth and Drivers License number is REQUIRED.
Canoes, Kayaks, Rowboats, Inflatables and Pedal Boats$17.00
All Canoes with a Motor$30.00
Less than 16’ Long$30.00
16’ but less than 26’ Long$45.00
26’ but less than 40’ Long$60.00
40’ but less than 65’ Long$75.00
65’ Long and Longer$90.00
All Boats
Title and Registration fees are payable by Cash, Certified Check, Money Order, Visa, Master Card or Discover.

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions please give us a call at (740) 455-7103

The Muskingum County Common Pleas Clerk of Courts Title Office will no longer process passport applications. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. You can obtain passport information through the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs ( Passport applications can be processed at any U.S. Post Office, some locations also take passport photos. I suggest you call in advance to determine hours of operation and whether they offer passport photo service.
Wendy Sowers
Clerk of Courts

Wendy Sowers
Clerk of Courts
Contact Our Office
Location 22 N 5th Street
Zanesville, Ohio 43701
Hours Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Phone (740) 455-7103
Fax (740) 455-7932